Millennials are experiencing a dangerous dating trend – Love Bombing. Don’t let the name fool you – it describes a controlling and abusive relationship. HelloGiggles.com recently wrote an insightful article, “8 Signs You’re Being Love Bombed”. The whole article is worth reading, but if you’re short on time, here are the highlights.
You know you’re being Love Bombed if:
- Your new relationship moves really fast
- Your dating partner immediately starts making promises about the future
- There’s lots of gifts and romantic gestures showered on you at the beginning of a relationship
- Your dating partner wants to be in constant communication with you
That doesn’t sounds so bad, right? However, this is just the honeymoon phase. These are strategies that a domineering partner will use to groom you to be isolated, vulnerable and manipulated by his or her control. Love Bombing continues with:
- The honeymoon phase ending extremely quick
- Your partner begins making unreasonable demands and expectations
- Your partner will exploit your insecurities
- The cycle will continue, leaving you feeling like you’re on an emotional rollercoaster
REMEMBER: strong, healthy relationships develop over time. Recognize signs of psychological abuse and end the relationship as soon as they appear.
Photo credit: Flickr Creative Commons.